Article 4 of our constitution
- The Institute shall promote the practice of journalism of the highest professional and ethical standards, always mindful of journalists’ crucial role as part of the Fourth Estate in a democratic society.
- The Institute shall safeguard and promote:
- the practice of free, fair and independent journalism, and the welfare and safety of all journalists.
- the freedom of the press, freedom of expression and freedom of information in a democratic society.
- The Institute shall remain a non-profit and non-partisan organisation, and maintain its independence at all times; it shall conduct its affairs and activities without interference from or regard to political, commercial or other vested interests.
- The Institute shall not endorse, support or provide funds to or receive funds from any political party or candidate for elective public office or organisations affiliated to political parties in Malaysia or abroad.
- The Institute shall speak for journalists in all media.
- It shall strive to be inclusive and ensure fair representation of all classes of journalists and all sectors of the media in its activities and in the composition of the Board of Governors and committees.
- The Institute shall at all times uphold and promote the principles of fairness, justice, equality and equal opportunities as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.